So people always wonder what are organic cotton clothing exactly? This question appears in front of us in bold letters when we hear about activists going green with fashion. More so, with the recent Eco-fashion trends which are slowly gaining importance. Some might consider it a passing fad, but organic clothing is actually the key to a green and sustainable future.
Do you remember the fight against saying no to animal fur? Well, the need for saying no to synthetic fabric is quite similar. The idea is fairly new and most people are unaware of its benefits, the seeds have been sown nevertheless. Today, many environmental activists are raising high the banner for a greener society and Eco-friendly alternatives to manufacture clothes. And so here we are to support the cause and pave way for a “greener future”.
Let us explain what truly organic cotton clothing is…
Organic cotton clothing is manufactured from 100% organic cotton that is grown without the use of synthetic pesticides and other harmful fertilizers. This means clothes made from organic cotton are free from toxins and other chemicals. Moreover, organic cotton fabrics are colored using low impact dyes and other Eco-friendly materials, ensuring a clean and healthy environment.
Organic cotton does good to everyone:
- Power to the farmers:Organic cotton puts choices in the farmer’s hands. It allows them to use low external inputs to work within their limits and with their environment. Organic cotton does not use Genetically Modified Seeds (GMO) that requires large investment and also comes with a high risk of uncertainty. This ensures more control in farmers’ hand than the GM companies.
- Pesticides free:Up To 72 million cotton workers suffer poisoning from pesticides each year. Not using dangerous pesticides protects farmers’ lives, soil and the environment.
- Saves up water:Organic farming practices create healthy soils which make better use of water inputs and are more resilient in drought conditions. By eliminating the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, farmers ensure waterways are safe and clean thereby not polluting precious water resources.
- Helps combat climate change:Organic cotton production uses lesser energy resources and healthy organic soils stores more carbon that helps in 94% lesser greenhouse gas emissions.
- Fair prices for farmers: Using fair trade principles, organic cotton farmers are paid a fair price for their produce preventing them from being cheated by the middlemen. Farmers also gets a premium over conventional cotton.
How does it work for me?
As a buyer you get to wear pure healthy organic fabric that is comfortable yet stylish. Now could it get better? Yes, tell your friends about it, educate people around you about organic clothing. This will generate more demand for organic cotton clothing enabling more farmers to shift to organic farming hence, lowering environmental impact.
With ‘I Wear Me’ creative organic t-shirts our hope is to not just give you a piece of art you that will love to wear, but also know that you are contributing towards a farming system that is kinder to the farmers, to us, and ultimately to the planet as well.
Our call is for a change, and we invite you to join us. So the next time you shop for clothes, make sure its green, organic and Eco-friendly. Look for one of the marks from GOTs and Shop for Change to make an informed purchase. Happy Shopping!